Back in March I was catching up on one of my new favorite blogs, Eat, Live, Run, and some how came across an old post, “Cheesy Zucchini Pizza That Will Rock Your Face”. With a name like that, how can you resist trying it? Plus I am a huge fan of zucchini and baking things so I new I needed to try this sometime soon.
I tried her homemade Pizza Dough which was super easy and tasty. Plus, a wheat crust with zucchini just seems right. The recipe is enough for two crusts which is very good cause I did manage to screw up at the last minute. Not thinking, I put the dough between two sheets of wax paper to roll it out, and there it stuck. Luckily the other half of the dough I had thrown into the freezer had not froze yet and I pulled it out to save the day. Since you can just buy dough or a crust already done up, you can easily avoid my mess up.
The pizza I made was probably a large, definitely enough for four people. That said, I had way too much zucchini/cheese mixture to put on the pizza, so it is hiding out in my fridge to become something tonight. (Maybe some sort of quesadilla?) I don’t know if my zucchini’s were too large or if it is just too much. I would say you might only need one zucchini and one to one and a half cups of mozzarella cheese. I also added peppers to her recipe and was going to add some of my brother’s dried chili mixture, but since my spice sensitive friend was joining me for dinner I decided I had better not. All in all it was really tasty and you think your eating healthy with all the veggies and whole wheat and cheese. Plus, it reheats excellently for next day lunch!
- Pizza dough! (see link above or buy some)
- 2 large zucchinis, seeds removed
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- sea salt
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees when you begin preparing the zucchini & peppers. Spray a cookies sheet or pizza baking stone with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchinis and press with paper towels to soak up the liquid. Mix the zucchini and the peppers with the mozzarella cheese and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and garlic. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Work the pizza dough into whatever shape your heart desires. Spread the ricotta cheese on top and then top with the zucchini mixture. Add some pepper flakes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 450 and bake pizza for about 12 minutes, or until the crust begins to turn golden and the cheese has started to bubble.