Yesterday afternoon I had a major catastrophe. Let’s start at at the beginning. In the morning I went to the farmers market for the first time this spring. I was very excited to see the fresh rhubarb and strawberries in various stands. Rhubarb may be my favorite thing in spring. It was a sure sign of summers approach when I was growing up. Rhubarb crumble, torte and margaritas. What could be better? I especially love, love, love rhubarb pie. It’s so quick and easy to bake up.
I was so excited to bake to make my first pie of the season. Then catastrophe struck. I could not find my recipe. I went through every single section of my card box. It was nowhere. The crust was such a great crust that I have used for other pies and the filling was so perfect. How could I loose this recipe? In a panic I called my mom, but as the phone was ringing I remembered that she didn’t give me the recipe. A family friend gave it to me several years ago when I was staying with them during an internship.
In the end I used my mom’s pat in the pan pie crust (which is excellent too) and a slightly modified pie filling from Betty Crocker. I used less strawberries than I had planned, but it was still delicious. I am hoping to find my old recipe because it was so good.
|I took this to a party too soon after baking so I know the pictures not the best, but it was still delicious.|
Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 1/4 cups rhubarb cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- For the crust, combine the flour, sugar and salt together. Mix in Oil and water. Press 2/3 of the mixture into a 9″ round pan and set the rest aside.
- Mix together the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar and flour. Once combined, spoon into pie pan.
- Cut butter into small squares and sprinkle over filling.
- Roll out remaining crust dough between wax paper until large enough to cover top of pie. Place over top of filling and pinch the edges. Using a fork poke holes into the top crust.
- Sprinkle crust with sugar and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.