After our awesome New Year’s Eve party, the tenants of 731 needed a bit of recovery time and a delicious brunch to start the new year. Plus it was Melissa’s 26th birthday, she needed pancakes and I love making pancakes. After cleaning up the mess from the night before and getting some coffee in our systems, I started mixing.
We had buttermilk leftover from the night before, so I decided to use it up and make buttermilk pancakes from the great Betty Crocker Cookbook. I also needed to make the gluten free, so instead of doubling a batch I made one gluten free and one whole wheat batch of pancakes. Both were absolutely delicious, as a pancake should be. To make the Gluten free pancakes I used Bob’s Red Mill all purpose flour in place of all flour.
|Regular on the left and GF on the right.|
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat egg. Add remaining ingredients in order listed and beat with whisk until smooth.
- Grease heated griddle with a bit of butter.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle.
- Turn pancakes as soon as they are puffed and full of bubbles break.
- Bake on other side until golden brown.