Bet you’re surprised to see ‘kale‘ pop up on this blog again so quick. I am. But when Jenna at Eat, Live, Run posted up this Kale Detox Salad with Orange and Avocado, I knew I need to try it. Like I mentioned before, I heard kale was not the best in salad form, but this was great. It was a bit chewy, but it was fine. The simple dressing of orange juice and olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper is perfect. I basically just tossed this together after looking at the ingredient list, so the recipe below is more approximate numbers, but I am pretty sure it would be hard to mess up anyway. I should have enough dressing to last me the week, (according to Jenna it will last that long in the fridge) and I cut up the rest of the orange to toss the salad together quickly for my lunches the rest of the week, (I tossed this together Monday night). Give it a try, I’m pretty sure you will love it.
- 2 to 3 cups of washed and roughly chopped or torn kale
- 2 juicy oranges
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, in 1/2 cubes
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- First, make the dressing. Combine the juice of one orange with the olive oil, pinch of sea salt and pepper. Shake or stir until very well combined. Set aside.
- For the salad, peel and divide the sections of the orange, then cut the sections into 4 pieces. Toss about a half a cup of oranges with the kale, almonds, and avocado. (Use the rest of the orange for future salads).
- Toss 3 or 4 tablespoons of the dressing into the salad, mix and enjoy!