Oh my goodness gracious, this is one of the best strawberry ideas ever. I saw Erin’s post on Erin Cooks for Goat Cheese and Strawberry Grilled Cheese. More accurately, I saw her pictures of this tasty delight and decided it was exactly what I was going to make for dinner that night. I had some high ambitions after the ride to Montauk and bought a bit too many berries to make who knows what with or just eat as is and there wasn’t time for them to completely dissappear. The thing is, I don’t not like strawberries, but I don’t like eating them alone very much. Don’t ask why, I can’t explain it. This sandwich idea, was exactly what I needed.
Later on when I got home I actually looked at the recipe, but really ended up using whatever I had on hand. Which did not include goat cheese or spicy jelly and I wasn’t going to get some since I was going to be taking off for a long weekend in two days either. Therefore I made my own little version and it was oh so fricken good. I do want to try it with something spicy added though, I’m sure it’s magnificent. It was way to hot in New Yorkto be doing any cooking indoors, so I fired up the grill for a true grilled cheese sandwich. I didn’t really leave the sandwich on the grill with the strawberries on it cause I got distracted by So You Think You Can Dance? and the bread would have been charcoal if I left it on much longer. I think you should all try this. Seriously.
Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices honey whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 slices muenster cheese (that’s right 3)
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced lengthwise
- ½ cup arugula
- Preheat your grill- if it is a gas grill, set it to low.
- Butter both sides of the bread. Place the slices on the grill and grill until the one side is just browning, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the bread and place 1 ½ slices of cheese on each slice. Grill until the cheese is just starting to melt and the bread brown. About 5 minutes. (This is where I would have put the strawberries on the cheese after about 3 minutes and grilled it for a couple minutes.)
- Remove from heat and add arugula to the top.
- Slice in halve & eat it up!