So as I mentioned, I had do something with the food that was in the cans used to make K’s mini cakes. The two cans of pears I tossed in the blender to make pear sauce. Why I think this is better than just eating the halves, I don’t know, but I do. I couldn’t just leave all four cans of chickpeas in Tupperware in the fridge, so I decided to use two of them before I even got started on the cakes. Making hummus seemed like the most obvious choice and Eat, Live, Run recently posted a recipe for Cheddar Jalapeno Hummus. Sounded like a good idea to me.
I sort of winged this recipe, using the same ingredients, sort of, but not really measuring. I think it could use at least one more jalapeno, maybe even two. It just wasn’t spicy enough for me. I added a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix and extra cumin since I didn’t have any extra jalapenos. I also didn’t feel like buying more cheese and used up the remaining pre-shredded four cheese blend hiding in the fridge, not sure if this made a difference or not. All in all, it was pretty tasty and made a ton. I took some to work to help and there is still some left. I need to get an actual food processor, cause as great as the neighbors blender is, it still left some chunks here and there. Either way, I could still definitely whip this up in 15 minutes if I’m having a big party.
Cheesy Jalapeno Hummus
Probably serves 30
- 2 1lb- 13 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 tbsp warm water
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups shredded four cheese blend
- Combine the chickpeas, jalapeno pepper, olive oil, water, cumin and salt in a vita-mix or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add the cheese and cumin and process again until everything is well combined.