I came across this Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies via Heather Dishes and couldn’t resist making them right away. The dough was SO GOOD. Seriously. The cookies were really good too, but they lost some of the flavor while baking. I could just eat the dough by the fist full. Correction, I was eating it by the fist full. It was becoming and issue and I had to remove myself from the room while they were baking.
The only change I made to the recipe was that I used instant oats, even though she specifically said not to, I didn’t feel like going to the store for something else. They still turned out great. Who knew browning the butter could make such a difference? Keep in mind that you need to refridgerate the dough a bit so factor that into your baking time. This is my new favorite. Make them.
Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup instant oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan, heat the butter, whisking constantly until browned. Remove the saucepan from heat and continue to whisk for an additional 30 seconds. Set aside and let the butter cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and oats. Set aside.
- Once the butter has cooled, mix it with the two sugars until combined. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and combine with hands until a dough forms.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the edges and bottoms are golden brown.